At Orana Catholic Primary School, each person is an integral part of a vibrant learning culture where everyone gives generously, shows respect and strives for excellence.
We take responsibility for contributing to a just and harmonious community by living the values of Generosity, Respect and Excellence.
Gospel Values Programme
At Orana Catholic Primary School every individual is valued for who they are and what they contribute to the school. The Gospel Values Education Programme is intended to support the personal, social, emotional and spiritual development of every pupil throughout the school. The whole staff team and all pupils are involved in promoting values and recognising where others are ‘living the values’.
Through the Gospel Values Education Programme we aim to:
- Promote positive behaviourand conduct by developing strong values within the pupils at the school.
- Develop pupil’s understanding of what values are and why they are important in life.
- Encourage children to ‘live the values’ in all aspects of their lives both in school and out.
- Promote values to pupils in every aspect of school.
- Promote values in the way in which adults interact with each other and with pupils.
- Display our school values and encourage all visitors to take account of them in their time in the school.
- Encourage parents/carersto support the programme at home by promoting the values covered at school.
- The Gospel Values Education Programmeis centred around our core Orana values; Generosity, Respect and Excellence.
- The value can be shown through the 11 virtues.
- The Wellness Leadership group will highlight a new value/virtue by introduction at an explicit values assembly on a Monday morning which will be followed up in class, with the work generated leading to a classroom display to support childrens’ understanding of the value.
- Further understanding of the value in the context of the school and the wider community is developed through the value being promoted by all staff in every aspect of school life.
- ‘Thinking Time’ and ‘Silent Reflection’ will be used in encouraging children to reflect upon values during assemblies and in classrooms.
- Circle time and class meeting time will be further opportunities to discuss and promote values within each classroom and informal opportunities being utilisedwhenever possible, e.g. playtime.
- Values are promoted to parents/carersthrough our weekly newsletter with each month’s value highlighted and explained.
- Values are promoted to the community through our website which highlights our values approach.
Gospel Values Education Resources
Each class is equipped with;
- An Orana values booklet
- Growth mindset resources
- Floor book – for written reflection of values that the class has focused on. The floor book is a shared resource for both classes to use. The aim is that the floor book with follow the cohort through the school. By the end of Year 6 the group will have a collective representation of the focus areas of their primary school years.
We welcome parents to view and spend time with their child to reflect on the Floor book and Values and virtues that have been focused on by the group. The Floor and the Values and virtues that have been focused on by the group. The Floor book is available for our community to view at any time.