Music is an integral, enjoyable and rewarding part of the Orana Catholic Primary School community. We are proud to offer a vibrant and inclusive music program to our students where we strive for teamwork and excellence within our ensembles.
The students engage in a comprehensive classroom music program from Pre Primary to Year 6. Music skills taught include: Singing, Playing, Listening, Reading and Writing, Responding, Creating and Improvising.
Our students have participated in the Catholic Schools Performing Arts Festival, Children Sing Festival and the WA Classical Guitar Festival. As well as these, we perform at many other events throughout the year.
Over the last 5 years, Orana has won numerous awards at the Catholic Schools Performing Arts Festival including three top awards. This festival is five weeks long and incorporates all facets of the performing arts and involves over 20,000 students from Catholic primary and high schools.
- Parents and Friends Federation Award for the best Primary School Concert Band: 1999, 2011, 2013 and 2016.
- Archbishop Foley Award for Primary Liturgical Choir: Orana Senior Choir 2015.
- Parents and Friends Federation Golden Jubilee Award for Primary Instrumental Duet: Tenor Horn Duet- A.Carlos and W.Bennion 2016.
- The Zenith Commendation Award for Sustained Improvement (Primary). This award was in recognition of the school's substantial growth in our performing arts programme. 2014 (Inaugural winners) and 2015.
- The Zenith Excellence Award for Outstanding Performance and Participation in the Spirit of the Festival (Metropolitan - Primary) 2016.
Students have the opportunity to learn a number of instruments at Orana.
- Brass (Trumpet, Trombone or Euphonium)
- Woodwind (Flute, Clarinet or Saxophone)
- String (Classical Guitar or Bass Guitar)
- Percussion (Drum Kit and Tuned Percussion)
Students experience the excitement of performing in a group ensemble with the School Concert Band Programme and Classical Guitar Ensemble on offer. Any student is eligible to join the School Band or Guitar Ensemble once they have met a minimum standard on their instrument. Vocal students are expected to be involved in the school choir.
Students are tutored by highly qualified instrumental teachers who bring a wealth of experience and talent to Orana. Lessons are conducted throughout the week during school hours (before school or lunch time lessons may be available on request). Instrument hire is also available from the school for all Brass and Woodwind instruments. Students learning guitar or drums require their own instrument.
A number of Orana musicians are successful every year in gaining music scholarships to Catholic, Independent and sought after public high schools.
Orana offers students the opportunity to participate in the school choirs. We currently offer a Senior Choir (Year 4-6) and Junior Choir (Year 2 and 3)