Music is an integral, enjoyable and rewarding part of the Orana Catholic Primary School community. We are proud to offer a vibrant and inclusive music program to our students where we strive for teamwork and excellence within our ensembles.
The students engage in a comprehensive classroom music program from Pre Primary to Year 6. Music skills taught include: Singing, Playing, Listening, Reading and Writing, Responding, Creating and Improvising.
Orana students participate in the Catholic Schools Performing Arts Festival,
Children Sing Festival, Fremantle Eisteddfod, South Suburban Music Eisteddfod
and the WA Classical Guitar Festival. As well as these, we perform at many other
events throughout the year.
Over the last 8 years, Orana has won numerous awards at the Catholic Schools
Performing Arts Festival including five top awards. This festival is seven weeks
long and incorporates all facets of the performing arts and involves over 20,000
students from Catholic primary and high schools.
- Parents and Friends Federation Award for the best Primary School
Concert Band: Orana School Band - 1999, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2017 and
- Archbishop Foley Award for Primary Liturgical Choir: Orana Senior Choir
- Parents and Friends Federation Golden Jubilee Award for Primary
Instrumental Duet: Tenor Horn Duet - A.Carlos and W.Bennion 2016.
Euphonium Duet – J.Padua and W.Bennion 2017.
- Presentation Sister’s Award for Primary Dance - Orana Dance Group
- Sisters of Mercy Perth Award for Primary Instrumental Solo – C.Chang -
Classical Guitar 2018.
- The Zenith Commendation Award for Sustained Improvement (Primary).
This award was in recognition of the school's substantial growth in our
performing arts programme. 2014 (Inaugural winners) and 2015.
- The Zenith Excellence Award for Outstanding Performance and
Participation in the Spirit of the Festival (Metropolitan - Primary) 2016,
2017 and 2018.
Students have the opportunity to learn a number of instruments at Orana.
- Brass (Trumpet, Trombone or Euphonium)
- Woodwind (Flute, Clarinet or Saxophone)
- String (Classical Guitar or Bass Guitar)
- Percussion (Drum Kit and Tuned Percussion)
Students experience the excitement of performing in a group ensemble with the School Concert Band Programme and Classical Guitar Ensemble on offer. Any student is eligible to join the School Band or Guitar Ensemble once they have met a minimum standard on their instrument. Vocal students are expected to be involved in the school choir.
Students are tutored by highly qualified instrumental teachers who bring a wealth of experience and talent to Orana. Lessons are conducted throughout the week during school hours (before school or lunch time lessons may be available on request). Instrument hire is also available from the school for all Brass and Woodwind instruments. Students learning guitar or drums require their own instrument.
A number of Orana musicians are successful every year in gaining music scholarships to Catholic, Independent and sought after public high schools.
Orana offers students the opportunity to participate in the school choirs. We will be offering one choir for students in Year 3-6.